Sunday, February 6, 2011

Aim's of Pleasure and Community Service

Pleasure: Songs with a '*' contain things that may offend some folks!


1.The Morning Benders, "Excuses," Pop, 2010 (song starts about 1 minute in)
2. Les Savy Fav, "We'll Make a Lover of You," Indie Rock, 2004 (those who are easily offend should probably not watch the video, song is pretty much PG)
3. *Liz Phair, "Supernova," Alternative, 1994
4. *Kid Cudi, "Pursuit of Happiness," Hip Hop, 2009
5. The XX, "Islands," Indie, 2009

Community Service:

1. The Flaming Lips, "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots," Psychedelic/ Rock 2006
2. Bill Withers, "Lean on Me," Soul/ R&B, 1972
3. 2 Pac, "Changes," Hip Hop, 1992
4. Lauryn Hill, "Doo Wop," Hip Hop, 1998
5. Brother Ali, "Breakin' Dawn," Hip Hop 2009

3 comments:

  1. Well you definitely pointed out something that I didn't stop to think about. I never really associated being selfish with Pleasure. Hmmmm, thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar idea in my blog.. that American is so incredibly individualized compared to eastern cultures. We are taught from the moment we can understand to follow our dreams, "reach for the stars".. the "pursuit of happiness". So, of course, when it comes to these songs of "pleasure" we want to hear about everything that we WANT. But another idea is that in Hinduism, at least they look at pleasure as a fleeting experience, one that if we don't leave behind in this lifetime, then maybe in our next life. In American culture, you don't get that same reassurance of "Oh your selfishness is a passing phase". I feel that, if anything, we are beoming more individualized. Some pop icons have made community service more appealing... but in general I don't think the public heeds it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned to the Flaming Lips for a Community Service song too! "Fight Test" was the song I chose - that entire album has more meaning in its lyrics than is typical of American music today. But "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is an awesome song and an equally awesome pick for the Community Service category.

    ReplyDelete