That aim that I found to be the most prevalent in my iTunes (or the American culture) was pleasure. I think pleasure was the more popular because most of us were raised to believe that you need to look after yourself first, we don't have the group mentality that some eastern cultures have. Even when you're on an airplane, they tell you to adjust your oxygen mask before assisting others, it's constantly drilled into our heads: Be selfish. While it was completely obvious that it would be easier to find songs about sex, drugs and love, I didn't think it would be that difficult to find songs about helping others but it was. Initially when I began this assignment I was hoping to find songs that were about 'volunteering' to physically help others (aka the community service we're all used to and don't actually want to do), how I feel the Hinduism aim is trying to project itself. This task was nearly impossible, so I had to look for alternative ways that the American culture helps others. One way that I found we help others is through giving good advice ('Changes' & 'Doo-Wop'): learn from my mistakes and treat people well. These messages can actually have a big impact on people and they might actually listen. Another way was through a person's job ('Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots'); constantly putting your life in danger to save others is seemingly the most abundant type of community service in our society, instead of a “thank you” they get paid for it.
Hey Jessie, I agree with you 100% on the fact that putting ourselves first has been drilled into our heads. We are taught to do whatever it takes to better yourself and make a good life for your family it's never about pursuing your life then helping those who are physically unable to help themselves. I found it very easy to find pleasure songs as well, sex, drugs, and money is something everyone likes including the Hindu only they have limits and our culture is someone extreme. So very good blog post.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you're response, pleasure is definitely the most prevalent aim between the two. I also thought at first that it would be easy to find songs about community service, but instead it was hard.It's a shame that most of the songs that are played on the radio and television all pertain to sex, drugs and love instead of making a difference.
ReplyDeleteYour post was refreshing because it took a completely different approach. You're right I think as Americans we are taught to only look out for ourselves and our family. Make sure you're straight before you try to help someone else. I too noticed that most community service song don't speak on a specific act of kindness. It's more like they all just convey the message help out your fellow man by giving a helping hand.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. American society is extremely selfish... I can still think about my parents saying, "You just take care of yourself." With that mindset - why help anyone? What have mercy? Why would you care?
ReplyDeletePleasure can quickly find its way into the cracks of this selfish mentality. It feels good...
I too found it difficult for "volunteer" based songs (Try 'Rocky Top' Tennessee's state song.) I had to settle for tunes about 'help' in general or about peace.
Good stuff - good songs too.
First of all, I don't agree with your view on community service. From personal experience, most of the people I have volunteered with did not make it seem like a burden. Yes, there are people who are volunteering for more directly self-centered reasons, but I don't think that is the majority view (especially among the type of people who gather to volunteer). You write about it as if you are disgusted with this way of thinking, but you seem to have allowed yourself to adopt that mentality as well. I agree with the idea that everything we do can be in some way construed as selfish, but I don't agree that the attitude towards these selfish acts is typically negative.
ReplyDeleteYes, we do tend to care for ourselves before others but I do not think it is necessarily selfish; it is just human nature. Also, it is true that community service songs were hard to find and the advice songs that you used were a great idea. When people are sad they tend to listen to music to make them feel better. Or when they are angry to calm themselves down. Advice songs are definitely community service songs.
ReplyDelete