In Kurosawa’s ‘Dreams’, I believe that the segment “the Peach Orchard” represents the sins one may encounter by destroying a shrine, or in this case the peach orchard. The dolls in the segment tell the little boy that they will no longer visit him due to his family destroying the peach orchard. I feel that the little boy saw this land as a sacred place, therefore was upset when his family demolished it. The little boy was in tears and wished to see the orchard in bloom again, because of this the dolls did a routine that consisted of bowing (and perhaps clapping too) which was a way to communicate with the Kami; this allowed the little boy to see the blooms of the peach trees once more before they vanished again.
I feel that the dolls were able to see that the little boy had not sinned, this is why he was able see it. In some ways the dolls allowing the little boy to see the orchard once more without his family goes against the group orientation of Eastern traditions. Letting the boy see it as an individual (like the individual centered Western traditions) seems to go against that, I find this interesting because from what I understand, typically being called out would cause discomfort not joy like the little boy showed.
Moreover, this clip shows the interconnection between humanity, nature and the gods that the Shinto religion expresses. While it shows humans dependence on the Kami, it also shows that they are separate because of the bowing ritual that takes place to allow communication between heaven and earth.
I also watched the Peach Orchard, and agree with you completely the connection between nature and humanity and the Gods were clearly shown in this scence. I think it's a really interesting idea of referring to the peach orchard as a shrine, I did not even think that, but it does make so much sense. Especially because shinto seems to be a religion so in touch with nature, and being one with nature, the orchard could definately be thought of as a shrine. Now looking back, the way they Gods were set up in the orchard was the exact same way they were set up on the shrine so there definately is a relation between the two. I also think its neat how you mentioned the idea of eastern tradition verses western tradition, and that idea of individualim and how the way the God's called him out seems a little strange.
ReplyDeleteI will have to say when I first watch the Peach Orchard video clip; the relation to Shinto doesn’t exactly jump out at me. Coming in to this assignment I decided I would watch the video one time fully through without reading over any of the Shinto notes. I just wanted to be able to enjoy the video for what it was. Then I read over the Shinto notes, took in what the basis of the religion were. Then I watched the video a second time and a few things jumped out at me.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in the Kurosawa’s ‘Dreams, Peach Orchard clip represents under Shinto ethics the gravest sin of destroying a sacred object or place. I believe the boy was really upset by the destroying of the peach orchard as well. When I was watching the video, I had the same feeling the dolls had that the boy wasn’t sincere in his emotions of the peach orchard being cut down. Once the little boy verbalized his feeling for the orchard I knew he was sincere, and I think the white face dolls did as well. I think this is why the white faced dolls communicated to Kami by clapping and bowinig as you stated. The performing of this ritual I believe was a way of purifying the boy from the impure bought on by his family’s decision to chop down trees in the peach orchard.
I also agree with your second connection from the Peach Orchard video clip to the Shinto religion. Under Kami the ancient Chinese did not divide matter and spirit. They believed them to be inseparable. Everything is spiritual and therefore there is continuity between humanity, nature and the spirit/gods. I think is why one of the white faced dolls stated in the clip that they are the spirits within the blossoms. This is also why the Kami was disrupted because nature, in the video clip the peach orchard and the white faced dolls were all connected.
I did not watch this clip, but after reading your description of it, it seems like it is a great representation of the interrelatedness of humanity and nature and how important harmony between the two is in Shinto.
ReplyDelete